Timeline of OBSN History

Pre-1676:  

Occaneechi, Saponi, and Tutelo live on island in Roanoke River near Clarksville, Virginia, on the Great Trading Path.

1676:          

Bacon's Rebellion causes the tribes to leave the area, some going to what is now Hillsborough, NC

1701:          

Explorer John Lawson visits Occaneechi Town on the Eno River

1710:          

Occaneechi join the Tutelo, Saponi, and other tribes at Fort Christanna, near Lawrenceville, Virginia

1715-1780's:

Occaneechi settle in what is now Greensville County, Virginia, near Emporia, and begin to adopt European names and customs.

1780's:    

Occaneechi begin to move back to NC, settling in what becomes the Texas Settlement in modem Alamance County.

1840: 

First school built in the Occaneechi community, a one room log building.

1840-1880:  

Some Occaneechi move to Ohio and Indiana, and go to court to defend their status as Indians.

1867:

Mt Pisgah Church formed. It later become Jeffries Cross Baptist Church

1877:

Alamance County builds its first "colored" county school for the Occaneechi people in the Texas Settlement

1909:

Martin's Chapel Missionary Baptist Church forms

1934:

Clayton Jeffries, William Andrew Jeffries, Earnest Jeffries, and others contact the U. S. Commissioner of Indian Affairs to try to get a Federal Indian school for the Texas Settlement

1984:

Eno-Occaneechi Indian Association organizes

1990:

Petition for State Recognition submitted

1995:

Tribal Council changes name to Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation, based on historical research.

1996:

Tribe receives first Administration for Native Americans grant for $81,000 to continue historical research

2002:

On February 4, 2002 the Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation becomes North Carolina's eighth official Indian tribe.

2004:

The Tribe purchases 25 acres in the Texas Settlement for a tribal center. The first land owned by the tribe in over 250 years.

2004:

Orchards planted on the tribal property, a well is dug, and electricity and the first Pow-wow is held on the site in the fall of 2004